According to the Australian Government Department of Health, over 1.3 million elders received some form of aged care in 2017-2018. The type of aged-care package varies depending on personal needs, goals and financial standing. Age care services can be government funded, including: care at your own home, residential care in nursing homes – for those who are no longer able to live at home, and short-term care required after a hospital stay or during a temporary sickness. In this article, we further explain different in-home care options, what services are included in home care packages and additional pricing.
Governmental In-Home Care is arranged through the Commonwealth Home Support Programme, providing entry-level support services to maintain your independence for as long as possible. These may include personal care services, nursing, domestic assistance, home maintenance and modifications, food services and others.
However for more complex needs, there are various Home Care Packages available depending on individual circumstances. There are 4 package levels in total, ranging from 1 for basic care needs and 4 being high care needs respectively. Each care package is tailored specifically to meet each person’s care needs and goals, assigned individually upon assessment. Home Care Packages are also funded by the Australian Government, meaning the services offered are also dependent on how much funding each person is eligible for. The funding ranges from $8,750 a year for level 1 package, $15,000 for level 2, $34,000 for level 3 and $51,500 for level 4. Based on the available budget for each individual, necessary services can then be chosen accordingly.
In more detail, below are some of the services Home Care Packages are able to provide and which seniors can choose from.
- Personal care – basic showering, bathing and dressing assistance. In addition, communication and mobility assistance including speech therapy, physiotherapy and counselling.
- Home care – laundering, cleaning, making beds, gardening and lawn maintenance.
- Pet care – assistance with taking pets to the vet, to a groomer or when you need help with taking them out for a walk.
- Transportation to medical appointments supervised by care workers.
- Meal preparation and nutrition, including basic cooking classes, special health diets and assistance with feeding or using utensils.
- Social activities such as exercise classes, massages, yoga programs and personal trainers.
With this in mind, Home Care Packages cannot be used to cover basic everyday costs or entertainment programs such as:
- Day to day bills
- Mortgage and rent payments
- Entertainment activities such as purchasing tickets for sport events etc.
However, some people may not be eligible for government-funded services in which case they can access self funded services. There are various memberships available at Age Up Health ranging from $249 to $3499 per month, depending on what services you may require. These will vary depending on the number of health appointments needed per month, total hours of in-home assistance, meetings with appointed care coordinator and nurse, community memberships and other factors.